Wild Rockies Field Institute


Students are welcome to apply for all the scholarships that are applicable to the course they are enrolled in or applying for.

General Scholarships:

WRFI offers small, need-based scholarships to students who might be unable to attend a course without assistance. These scholarships are usually five to ten percent of tuition. To apply for a General WRFI Scholarship, please fill out a WRFI scholarship application form and submit it with your course application. Students will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis, so we recommend that you apply as early as possible. 

Davidson Honors College Scholarship:

The Davidson Honors College (DHC) offers a merit scholarship to a University of Montana student who is a member of the Davidson Honors College. This scholarship provides funding support of $500 (for any WRFI course) or $1,000 (for a full-semester WRFI course). To apply for the DHC Scholarship, please complete the WRFI General Scholarship application and write a one-page personal statement that explains how the DHC Scholarship will help you participate in the WRFI course and what you hope to gain from the course. Submit your scholarship application with your course application to keri@wrfi.net  or mail a printed copy to the WRFI office at PO Box 7071, Missoula, MT 59807.

Matt Thomas Scholarship:

For students applying to Montana Afoot & Afloat: Human/Land Relations, WRFI offers a $1,000-$3,000 Matt Thomas Scholarship. Applications are due April 30, 2016. Email applications in Microsoft Word format to keri@wrfi.net, or mail a printed copy to the address below.

Buddy Bonus:

Other options for funding include the WRFI Buddy Bonus. If you recruit a friend or fellow student to participate in a WRFI course, we will take $100 off your tuition. We also encourage you to look into scholarships, grants and low-interest education loans from outside sources, and to consider saving money from your job to help pay for the course. Past students have made appeals to friends, family, and colleagues to sponsor them for every mile they hiked, paddled, or pedaled.

Federal Financial Aid:

If you are already receiving financial aid, you may be able to use it to cover the cost of WRFI tuition and other course expenses.  A popular option for students who receive Pell grants, Stafford loans or guaranteed student loans at their school is to obtain a "Consortium Agreement." A Consortium Agreement will transfer financial aid from your home institution to cover tuition for WRFI courses. Contact your financial aid office or the WRFI office for details.